I received my B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Bilkent University, Turkey, in Computer Engineering and Information Science, in 1992, 1994, and 2000, respectively. Before joining the Department of Biomedical Informatics at the Ohio State University in October 2001, I worked at Johns Hopkins University as a Research Associate and at the University of Maryland as a Visiting Research Scientist. Currently, I also hold a joint appointment in Electrical and Computer Engineering Department. ( Complete Vita )
My research interests broadly includes topics in high performance computing, combinatorial scientific computing and
biomedical informatics. In particular, I am interested in graph
and hypergraph partitioning, workload and data decomposition for
irregular domains, scheduling, parallel graph and hypergraph
algorithms, run time systems for high performance computing and
data-intensive computing, parallel algorithms for scientific and
biomedical applications. More information can be found on my research page or HPC Lab website that I
- NFS CC-NIE, OCI-1246001, Innovations to Transition a Campus Core Cyberinfrastructure to Serve Diverse and Emerging Researcher Needs, 10/1/12-9/30/14.
- QNRF, NPRP 4-1454-1-233, BioCloud -
Algorithms, Tools and Infrastructure for High-Performance
Next-Generation Bioinformatics on the Cloud, 4/1/12 - 3/30/15.
DOE/NEUP, Pathway Aggregation in the Risk Assessment of Proliferation Resistance and Physical Protection (PR&PP) of Nuclear Energy Systems, 10/1/11-9/30/13.
- NSF PetaApps, OCI-0904809: Taming the scale explosion in nuclear structure calculations, 9/1/09-8/31/14.
- NSF PetaApps, OCI-0904802: Enabling Breakthrough Kinetic Simulations of the Magnetosphere via Multi-zone Petascale Computing, 8/1/09-7/31/13.
- NIH/NCI R01: Informatics methods for identifying breast cancer control genes and proteins, 6/1/09-4/30/14.
- DOE SciDAC Institute: Combinatorial Scientific Computing and Petascale Simulations (CSCAPES), 9/15/06-9/30/12.
- NSF CAREER: Scalable Combinatorial Scientific Computing, 3/1/07-2/28/13.
I teach Theory and Design of Digital Computers (ECE 662), Scientific Computing on Emerging Architectures (ECE 694), Advanced Topics in Biomedical Data Management (BMI 731) and Advanced Computer Design (ECE 864) courses. more...
I have contributed to the design and implementation of the following software tools and middlewares: PaToH, Zoltan, DataCutter, STORM. more...